This is one of the great ironies of promotional products. To get your business (or lure you away from a competitor), promotional products distributors invariably focus on how much more cost-effective imprinted items are or how they can do more for you at a lower cost. But once they have the business locked up, price takes a backseat to relationships, creativity and numerous other factors. And that’s as it should be. As I’ve said before, staying on budget is only one element in the promotional mix. Here are some other key considerations to keep in mind:
- Turnaround time. When do you need it? Is on-time delivery guaranteed? Does your current provider have a good track record in this area?
- Quality. Do the products you use have a high perceived value? Will they last? Will logoed apparel stand up under repeated washing/wearing? Remember that your company’s image and reputation are a reflection of the imprinted items you distribute.
- Creativity. Are the ideas your provider comes up with cutting through the clutter and achieving your marketing goals? Is packaging always discussed? How about targeting and delivery?
- Availability. Will the items you choose be in stock if you need to re-order? How about color, size, etc.? This factor also ties in with turnaround time.
- Imprint. Is your message visible? Does it fit the item? Will it last? This is critical to the longevity of your promotion.
- Shipping/Delivery. Who chooses the most cost effective method? Is it traceable in case time becomes a factor?
These are the things that, taken together, create successful long-term relationships. As you can see, price is not the only factor in determining who you do business with. Delivering outstanding customer service to my clients, and doing what I say I’m going to do, is what has kept Kennedy Advertising in business for the past 36 years.
I hope you find this newsletter helpful. I’ll be back with some more ideas. In the meantime, if you want to explore what’s currently on special, click here or call me toll free at 888-725-4487, locally in Las Vegas at 702-324-1334 or send us an e-mail if I can be of help.